Home School Conventions
Just about every
trade holds conventions, and home schoolers are no different.
Why go? They provide excitement, encouragement, ideas,
workshops, instruction, information and tools to improve your
home schooling. Not to mention an entire hall of vendors
bringing the shopping to you. You can examine whatever
materials you're considering buying, up close and personal,
asking questions and getting insight so you can be confident
knowing you're purchasing the right materials to suite your
family's needs. You may even save some money too! Since much
of the material is offered at a special price at conventions,
you may be able to afford that curriculum you had your eye
on, but was out of your price range!
Tips for Success...
- Wear your best walking shoes
- Leave the kiddos at home. Conventions are crowded & busy... you need your mind free to focus on the task at hand! You're on a mission!
- Plan ahead! Look through the schedule and prioritize according to what you want to accomplish. Make enough room for workshops and talking to vendors.
- If exhibitors go the extra mile for you and you've decided to purchase their product, buy it from them. They don't have as large of a markup as you may imagine.
- A bag or backpack
- A notebook for jotting down prices and notes. Write out any questions you may have for particular vendors (it helps to do your homework ahead of time, looking at catalogs/websites to determine what programs interest you). Also jot down all the great ideas you pick up so you can put them in your idea file at home.
- A jacket because some of them freeze you out
- Your shopping list so you can shop with purpose. Also make note of your child's learning styles & needs, and determine the teaching methods you favor.
- Your hubby or a veteran home schooler